January 21, 2011

I've Been Busy!

Long time no post! I have been a very busy girl. There are a lot of exciting things in the works over here as my sewing machine has taken over my craft room! This week I was so excited to cut up some favorite fabrics, it even took over my dining room table where I sat and sewed to my favorite movies. This is how bad habits start, but it's also how great things made with love emerge!

I know what you're thinking... stop blabbing and just start posting pictures... yes ma'am/sir!

 This sweet lunch bag is made from Michael Millers 'Groovy Guitar' fabric and I love the colors and pattern SO much that it's hard for me to part with it. This lunch bag is close with a simple loop and cover button! The lining though: that's the kind of fabric that I hate sewing with. It shifts, and is temperamental. In order to make it stay put I have to do basting stitches all around the very edge and then go back and sew into place. Even then it doesn't like staying pit. Good thing the finished product is cute or this would have been the last lunch sack I ever produced!

 I also made this sweet little snack bag to go along with the lunch sack! It's coated with an iron on vinyl and I have never worked with this vinyl before, but I've learned that the more you 'beat it up' the better it gets. I made a little test bag earlier in the week and I've washed it, dried it, shoved it in the dishwasher and left it on the floor for people to walk over. It's also had stuff poured into it and it has lovingly stood up to each and every inch of abuse I've put it through. After the dryer, it came out looking better then when I made it! Insane! Now it's been stolen and turned into a Barbie sleeping bag. This is life with a 7yr old thief.

The previous lunch sack was a test to see if I could sew with that lining fabric and so when the time came to make a full on finished "sellable" product, I dove into my Bonehead fabric. You have NO idea how much I adore sugar skulls! I also promised to produce some things for boys! The result was this cute little set that snowballed into orders of all kinds using this fabric! I regret only buying a yard. I have my first ever purse order as well with this fabric requested so I guess I need to find a purse pattern!

The week ended with me going back to my roots however with this adorable custom order from a wonderful client. Blue and black with Czech glass bead centers. Adorable.

So, anyone have any great purse patterns they'd recommend?

1 comment:

  1. Wow Karen! You really have been busy! Your lunch sacks are just too cute! I really enjoyed the story about your test bag turned sleeping bag. Kids are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and appreciate you taking the time to leave me one! Have a wonderful day! xox